LESA's Building Blocks Tuition Assistance
Tuition Assistance for Students in LESA-Member Schools
LESA’s Building Blocks scholarships offer financial aid to children from economically disadvantaged families who wish to attend LESA-member Lutheran elementary schools in the metropolitan St. Louis community. Our mission is to touch the lives of children and families through an academically-focused, faith-based elementary school experience and make a positive difference in their future. Since its inception, Building Blocks’ programs have awarded 11,800 tuition-assistance scholarships to students totaling over $8.4 million. Today, one of every six students in LESA schools receives help with the cost of elementary school tuition through a Building Blocks’ program. Our goal is to give financial aid to all who qualify and apply.
Funding for Building Blocks scholarships is raised through LESA’s fund development efforts. The LESA Endowment for Scholarships provides base funding for tuition assistance, and that funding is supplemented by proceeds from LESA’ special events (A Night for Kids Dinner Auction each spring and Brew in the Lou festival each fall), financial gifts from donors, bequests, memorials and honorariums, corporate and individual sponsorships, matching funds from the LESA Board of Directors, and grants.
Missouri District LC-MS Scholarship Program
Need-based tuition assistance is available to students in kindergarten through 8th grade who are enrolled in LC-MS Missouri District elementary schools for the 2015/2016 academic year through the Loftus Trust, a tuition-assistance fund gifted to the Missouri District. The application process and procedures, below, apply for families seeking funding from the Missouri District’s program. If your child is enrolled in a Missouri District school that is a member of LESA, only one application is required to receive consideration under both LESA’s Building Blocks and the Missouri District programs.
Application Procedure for 2015/2016 Tuition Assistance through LESA’s Building Blocks, Lutheran Association for Special Education (LASE), and the Missouri District tuition-assistance programs.
Scholarships do not renew automatically. Families seeking assistance with the cost of tuition through the LESA Building Blocks, LASE or Missouri District programs must apply for funding each year, as available funding varies from year-to-year based on fundraising success, and the number of students qualifying for assistance varies each year.
To apply for assistance, families submit an online application. Each school has a unique login which may be obtained from the school administrator to access the application. In addition to completing the application and paying the application fee, families must provide 2014 federal income tax documents to substantiate financial need.
Applications which are submitted online no later than April 1, 2015 and which have been verified through a review process by the online application provider (FACTS Tuition Aid Assessment) as “complete” by April 15, 2015, will be eligible for funding consideration. A “complete” application is one which has undergone a review process by FACTS that substantiates financial information provided by the family in the online application process with the income documentation the family submits after the application is submitted. Families will be notified by the school administrator of the award determination in late May or early June 2015. All applications received after this date will be considered on a case by case basis if funds remain.
- All applications will be submitted ONLINE. Obtain your child’s unique school login from your school administrator or call the LESA office.
- To apply for consideration, each applicant is required to pay a $30 fee per family. For more details on the application process, see the attached flyer.
- Once your online application has been submitted, remember to immediately submit the required income documentation (2014 W-2’s and 2014 federal income tax form) to FACTS following the instructions on the final application screen. Income documents may be uploaded, faxed, or sent through US mail.
- Only those applications that are submitted online by midnight April 1, 2015 and are verified as “complete” by FACTS by April 15th are eligible to receive consideration for the May 2015 awards.
- Upon completion of application review and award determinations by the Scholarship Awards Committees, families will be notified by the school administrator of LESA’s Building Blocks and the Missouri District award decisions in late May or early June 2015. Families submitting applications for LASE tuition assistance will be contacted directly by LASE in late May, 2015.
For more information on the Building Blocks or Missouri District scholarship programs: